About Me

My photo
St. Anthony, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Battery Empty!

[Written on our Labor Day vacation 2012 on Minnesota's North Shore near Lutsen, MN.]


I thought the “battery low” symbol on my camera would allow me several more photos. Suddenly in the middle of framing a new picture, all goes black replaced by the outline of a battery with the words:  BATTERY EMPTY. I had to shut down and let it recharge a little before I attempted anymore photos. A little later I made several more attempts only to snap one photo before I saw those ominous words once again and I had to shut down. The irony is that last evening I saw my charger sitting there and heard my head say, “Recharge the Battery, NOW”. I figured I had plenty of time to do it later.
I wonder how many times the Spirit has tried to get my attention telling me that my body’s battery is low and needs recharging. Yet, I keep going and doing all the work that needs to be done. I have an endless “Downsizing to Do List” at home. I have a “Fiscal New Year to Do List” at my office. I squeezed in a “Packing for Vacation to Do List” to get ourselves out-of-town for a week.

I also scheduled a doctor’s appointment to check my knee before doing more damage with hiking while on vacation. I was diagnosed with Patellofemoral Syndrome more commonly called Runner’s Knee. Apparently, I did too much on the treadmill and my body said:  STOP! I thought I was strengthening my body by learning to practice Interval Training under the guidance of my personal trainer at the YMCA. It will take weeks to finally heal from this latest setback while I find it painful to walk up and down stairs or even to get up from a chair.
Ironically, this diagnosis made me realize I had no margin left to deal with one more … anything! I had no patience or emotional stamina but I had to keep going as vacation was still ten days away. My battery was EMPTY!

Well, vacation is almost over. I am feeling like my calendar is overflowing and the To Do lists growing exponentially. I need to figure out how to recharge my battery while in the midst of living life. One doesn’t always have the luxury of stopping the unending treadmill of things that need doing. So how can I know what is needed to recharge my batteries when the To Do lists keep expanding?
As I sat on the rocky point with the water gently lapping ten feet below, I sensed the Spirit gently remind me of various ideas that help to recharge my battery. May these spark some ideas of your own?
-       Centering Prayer – basking in the silence as the Truth and Peace seep into my mind and soul
-          Knit/Crochet – the rhythm of this craft focuses my mind on something creative
-          Movies/Plays – entertainment is a great treat for a weary mind
-          Novels – reading favorite authors and finding new ones puts me in awe of God’s creativity
-          Poetry – slowly reading a poem – God’s creativity soothes through rhyme and rhythm
-          Napping – great way to refresh oneself during a busy week
-          Outdoors time – recharge with solar power on a walk or in a garden
-          Play more often

Play more often? How does one play? I could choose one of these ideas. Nevertheless, spontaneity has to be a part of play. How can I allow more spontaneity?
INVITATION:
Anyone want to join me at the park for a time on the swing set?


No comments:

Post a Comment