About Me

My photo
St. Anthony, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Revealed In The Fog


It was our first day on the North Shore of Minnesota’s side of Lake Superior. We drove up in intermittent fog yesterday and this morning dawned with fog. I can hear the lake lapping at the shore but I cannot see very much beyond a few rocks in the water below. I tried to snap a photo only to find that my camera lens seems to have moisture spots marring the photo, making it hard to decipher the image. Reminded me of this scripture verse:

1 Cor. 13:12 NLT
Now we see things imperfectly as in a poor mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me now.

So much of following Christ is a walk by faith and not by sight. I’m trusting that the sun will come out on this vacation day and burn away the fog so that I can see more of Lake Superior to revel in God’s beautiful creation.

In daily life we don’t always get to see the whole picture; only what is right in front of us. After one comes through a time of struggle, then you can appreciate not having seen beforehand all that would happen to you.

Right now, I believe that God has given me a vision for Jim and Donna’s future that means a move to downsize to a town home so that we can conserve our time and energy to be able to continue working for another ten years, Lord willing. It’s a little scary because of our financial situation. I wonder how God will work a miracle. I wonder what little steps along the way will lead us to the final end:  settled into a town home, ready for the next years of our life. Indeed, I feel a dense fog obscure the pathway and I need to follow by faith as God takes my hand through this next maze of twists and turns as the fog may thicken before we will see the light at the end of the tunnel. We will need faith, courage and strength to persist to the end.

I never thought I would get to this point of feeling ready to leave our lovely Golden Lake home. We have enjoyed so many wonderful years there since building it in 1983, and have shared it with many people who have been blessed by God’s goodness to us.

Our next home will be shared as well through our gift of hospitality, no matter how humble. It will be God’s goodness to us in the land of the living meant to be shared, giving the glory to God.

CHALLENGE:
Minnesota’s North Shore of Lake Superior is my favorite retreat spot. I sense God’s presence there in the beauty of the landscape. He has gently revealed many lessons as I slow down to take time to listen. When was the last time you took time for a retreat? Perhaps the “fog” of your circumstance is telling you to slow down and listen before moving ahead in faith. 

(Written on our Labor Day vacation 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment